NATIONAL TALENT SEARCH EXAMINATION (NTSE) 2015-16
National Talent Search Scheme is a flagship activity of the NCERT started in the year 1963. The purpose of the scheme was to identify talented students and nurture their talent. Talent refers to the potentiality that manifests itself in a high level of performance in one or more specialized areas. The scheme, therefore, covers areas like Sciences, Social Sciences, Engineering, Medicine, Management and Law. It honours and helps talented students by providing financial assistance in the form of a monthly scholarship. For the courses in Basic Sciences, Social Sciences and Commerce, this assistance is provided up to Ph.D. level. For professional courses like Engineering, Medicine, Management and Law this assistance is given only up to Post Graduation. From the selection year 2012-2013, the NCERT will conduct the National Talent Search Examination for students studying in Class X only.
- Scholarships: On the basis of the examination conducted, 1000 scholarships will be awarded for each group of students appearing for Class X examinations.
- Reservation: 15% scholarships will be reserved for students belonging to the SC category, 7.5% scholarships for students belonging to the ST category and 3% for Physically Challenged Group of Students each in respect of the class X.
- Scholarship: The Amount of scholarship will be : (a) Scholarship of Rs. 1250/- per month for class XI to XII (b) Scholarship of Rs. 2000/- per month for Undergraduates and Post-graduates. (c) Amount of Scholarship for Ph.D. be fixed in accordance with te UGC norms.
- Selection: There will be two-stage selection process for award of scholarship. For Stage-I, selection will be done by States/UTs through a written examination. Students who qualify Stage I will be eligible to appear for Stage II examination conducted by NCERT.
- Important Dates: Dates for Submission of Application Form and conduct of examination are given below: Stage Area Dates Stage I (State) Last Date for Submission of Application Form To be notified by the respective state and vary from state to state Examination in Mizoram, Meghalaya, Nagaland and Andaman and Nicobar Islands 7th Nov, 2015 Examination in All other States and Union Territories 8th Nov, 2015 Stage II (National) Examination in All States and Union Territories 8th May, 2016(Sunday)
- Eligibility: Students of Class X studying in recognized schools are eligible to appear for schools are located. There will be no domicile restriction.
- Examination: The pattern of written examination for Class X will be as follows:. Stage I examination at the State/UT level will comprise two parts, namely (a) Mental Ability Test (MAT) , (b) Language Test(LT), and (C) Scholastic Ability Test (SAT) covering social sciences, sciences and mathematics . Stage II examination at the National level will comprise (a) Mental Ability Test (MAT), (b) (b) Language Test(LT) (Hindi or English), (c) Scholastic Ability Test (SAT) covering social sciences, sciences and mathematics . At Stage II there will be negative marking in each paper. For each wrong answer 1/3 marks will be deducted. No marks will be deducted for unattempted questions.
- State Quotas: Each State/Union Territory has been allotted a quota to recommend a specific number of candidates for the Stage II examination, the details of which will be made available on NCERT website. However, there will be no State/Union Territory Quota for the final award of scholarship after the Stage II examination. Reservation for SC, ST and Physically challenged will be as notified in para 2 above.
- Application Forms: You may contact the state / UT Liaison officer for procuring application form. All correspondence relating to Application Forms should be addressed to the State Liaison Officers (LOs) whose addresses are given at the Website or Click here To Download the list
- The completed application form duly signed by Principal of the school should be submitted to the LO before the last date.
- Fees: States and Union Territories may notify the fee required which will be paid for the Stage-I examination. However, NCERT does not charge any fee for the Stage-II examination. For Details Click here
- Announcement of Results: Results of the Stage-I examination will be announced by the respective State Governments/ Union Territories. Results of Stage-II examination will be announced by NCERT. Indian Students Studying Abroad can appear directly for Stage II NTS Examination under conditions prescribed in the NTS brochure for class X which is available on the NCERT website.
Candidates may fill up relevant items of the Application Form available on the NCERT website and send to the undersigned along with a photocopy of the mark sheet of previous examination latest by February 28, 2016