Rivers of India – Indus and Brahmaputra
– Which is the longest river of the Indian subcontinent? – Indus or Sindhu
– What is the originating point of river Ganges? – Confluence of Sengge and Gar rivers near Kailash-Mansarovar region in Tibet, China
– Indus River passes through only one Indian state. Which is it? – Jammu & Kashmir
– Which river is also known as the Lion River? – Indus
– Which are the important tributaries of Indus in Jammu & Kashmir? – Shyok, Shigar and Gilgit
–– What is the approximate length of Indus River? – 3,200 km
– Which are the most important tributaries of Indus? – Jhelum, Chenab, Ravi, Beas and Sutlej
– Which tributaries of Indus emerge from northwestern direction to merge into it? – Gumal, Zhob, Tochi and Swat
– Indus passes through which important city of Pakistan before merging into the seas? – Karachi
–– Indus merges into which ocean? – The Arabian Sea
– What is the originating point of Brahmaputra River? – Angsi Glacier near Mansarovar Lake (Tibet, China)
– What is the approximate length of Brahmaputra River? – 2,900 km (about 1,800 miles)
– Brahmaputra is known by which name in China? – Tsangpo
–Which country is proposing to build a massive dam over Brahmaputra to utilize its mammoth water resources, a step that could drastically reduce river’s water flow into India? – China
–– Brahmaputra flows through how many Indian states? – Two (Arunachal Pradesh and Assam)
– Brahmaputra enters India through which state? – Arunachal Pradesh
– Brahmaputra is known by which name in Arunachal Pradesh? – Siang or Dihang (It is known by the name Siang as it enters Indian territory through a rocky and mountainous terrain. Later in the plains of Arunachal Pradesh it is known as Dihang)
– How many times river Brahmaputra changes its course significantly during its flow? – Twice (Once while entering into India from China and secondly while entering Bangladesh from India)
– Longest flow of Brahmaputra occurs in which Indian state? – Assam
– One of the largest river-islands in the world is formed by Brahmaputra river in Assam. What is the name of this river –island? – Majuli (It is however shrinking fast and is experiencing serious threat to its existence)
– Which important city of Assam is situated on Brahmaputra River? – Guwahati
– Brahmaputra is known by which name in Bangladesh? – Jamuna
– Which are the important tributaries of Brahmaputra? – Dibang and Lohit (in Arunachal Pradesh), Kameng (in Assam) and Ganges (or Padma), Teesta and Meghna (in Bangladesh)
– Brahmaputra merges with which river to form the Sunderbans Delta? – Ganges or Padma
– Brahmaputra merges into which sea after joining the Ganges in Bangladesh? – Bay of Bengal (Later stages of Brahmaputra are known as Meghna)
1. Which part of the world is referred to as the fertile crescent?
[A]Latin Americas [B]South East Asia [C]Middle East [D]Scandinavia
2.Which one of the following is not a member country of the Mano River Union?
[A]Liberia [B]Sierra Leone [C]Guinea [D]Nigeria
3.The Great Artesian Basin, one of the largest and deepest underground water reservoirs in the world is located in___?
[A]Australia [B]USA [C]China [D]Japan
4.The Shubhamsari (Subansiri) project, is the 2000MW hydroelectric project is coming up in which of the following states?
[A]Tripura [B]Arunachal Pradesh [C]Haryana [D]Sikkim
5.The Chambal River does not flow through which one of the following states?
[A]Madhya Pradesh [B]Rajasthan [C]Gujarat [D]Uttar Pradesh
6.Mount Stromboli, which is one of the active volcanoes in the world, is in which country?
[A]Argentina [B]China [C]Italy [D]Mexico
7.The continent which has higher ratio of coast to landmass is ____?
[A]Asia [B]Australia [C]Europe [D]Africa
8.The Mount Kosciuszko, is the highest point in _____?
[A]Australia [B]Japan [C]Sri Lanka [D]Bangladesh
9.Which among the following is the smallest country in the African continent?
[A] Seychelles [B]Gambia [C]Libya [D]Congo
10. How many states and union territories of India have sea coast?
[A]9 States and 5 Union Territories
[B]8 States and 3 Union Territories
[C]9 States and 4 Union Territories
[D]7 States and 3 Union Territories
ANSWER-1.C 2.D 3.A 4.B 5.C 6.C 7.C 8.A 9.A 10.C